Creative Endeavors, The Home of BoxcarOkie.com

October 30, 2012

Nuthin Ever Stays The Same

Filed under: Blogging,Life — ldsrr91 @ 9:35 PM

Funny how things change and you do not notice.

There is an old fable that says that if you drop a frog in a pan of boiling water, he will immediately jump out of the pan.  But take the same frog and drop him in cold water, then apply heat to the pan very slowly and he will stay in there until he eventually dies.

Why?

His world changed “a little at a time” and he did not notice.

Used to be you would post a link for someone on your site and they of course would come looking to see what was going on  (ping-backs) and then they would drop a nice “thanks for linking me or hey, I appreciated that, thanks a lot.”  These days you run a link for someone, give them the notice that they so richly deserve, possibly giving them a boost in blog traffic and they don’t say a dog-gone thing.  This week for the first time, I ran across a site that specifically asked people NOT to re-blog their stuff unless they acquired permission.  This is a new one on me, I am not all that sure I agree with that philosophy.

I suppose change has come upon me again, and I just did not notice.

Not long ago we were in a Mall in the Dallas area and I noted that there were few white people in the mall at the time.  Most were Indian, Pakistani, Middle Eastern, Asian, Black, Mexican.  White folks seemed to be missing from the mix almost entirely and that struck me as odd.  The country has changed, it kind of did it when I was not looking and I was somewhat shocked to say the least.  It is not often you wake up and find yourself a stranger in your own country, but it happened to me, it can happen to you.

This past week has been tough, and at times, it has pained my spirit so much it was to the point of being almost unbearable.  But we always seem to make it through the mess of life, some of it is easy and some of it is hard.  One thing that has helped me is Steve McCurry’s wordpress blog.  I go over there and I look at the pictures this guy has put up, and it reminds me how lucky I truly am in life, that I have a life worth living and that there are far more people in the world less fortunate than myself.

If you missed it, here is the link … It is well worth the trip believe me.

GOING HOME

Today a new person showed up and hit the like button, and all that was there was the gravatar.  Often that will drive me crazy, someone interesting clicks the like button on one of my posts, and it doesn’t say where that person might be this day, where is the link to their site, why I cannot visit their world and see what they are up to.  Almost not fair in some respects, it happened today, and again, I am wondering, sitting here with my feet planed firmly on the ground … and one eye on heaven … but I don’t quite know where to stick a pin in the map.

So that is it.  Things change and you have to change with them I suppose.

Makes you wonder if posting a link is worth it?  Some folks even think that re-blogging a post is not right and is the lazy man’s way to write a blog (and for good reason, I am sure there are some people who do just that) but I am not all that convinced it is a bad thing.  For the most part, I am kind of stuck between the two.

Leaves me kind of wondering or at a loss as to why people are so busy they do not have time to just say “thanks” for the link.  Too busy to leave a comment and tell someone else, what a minute of their day.  All I know for sure, here in my little world is this:  “It is a good day to  be above ground and I am going to relish it, savor the moment and try my best to make it count for something.”  You can re-blog that all day long, I won’t mind it a bit.

Thank You For Stoppin By.

OOO

About these ads

9 Comments

1. Hmm… Don, I wondering if you are referring to me about the re-blogging with permission. ;)

Whether we like it or not, life is full of changes. Tonight, I handed over my restaurant key back to the lady who originally owned the place. It was a sad moment for me because this means my life is changing again, and I need to find a job asap or else I’ll be homeless… since the restaurant took every cent I had. It also means I try not to think that I failed… again… instead I look at it from the positive side and when I do that, I know I was successful in more ways than I have anticipated. And yes, often times; changes in life is a good thing. Thanks for making me think with your post. And you have my permission to re-blog my posts if you ever find them good enough to pass it on. :D

Comment by Emily Gooch — October 30, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

• Recently we had a disscusiomn on that didn’t we? Yes and no Emily, there were others in there too. I am glad that the post made you take some time to reflect, to think about things, and if that is the case, then I am pleased.

I don’t try to sway people to my way of thinking but I do want to make them think about it.

If I can do that, then I have done right.

Don

Comment by ldsrr91 — October 31, 2012 @ 5:45 AM

2. Wow, when I grow up I hope I’m such a successful blogger that I ban people from reblogging what I post. Hmm, come to think of it, if you don’t want people to share what you’re writing about . . . why would you have a “blog”? Great observations and thanks for the link. I do indeed feel a bit more fortunate this morning thanks to that! Here’s hoping for another good day.

Comment by angrymiddleagewoman — October 31, 2012 @ 5:33 AM

• Personally, I have no problem with it, if it is done correctly. In the past I had material lifted and re-blogged (posted on a site) without any consideration at all. One group took material, changed it and then posted it on their site as their own material.

When I first started out with this site there were no re-blogging buttons or any of that, it all came along later. Times have changed considerably since then, thus, the subject of the piece.

I hope you enjoyed it and got something from it.

Don

Comment by ldsrr91 — October 31, 2012 @ 5:39 AM

3. I don’t have a blog and i don’t leave comments unless i have something worthwhile to say. Now with that out of the way,…..I grew up just outside of a small, (310 people) town in western Wa. that didn’t change for years. Of course there were people like us in the surrounding area so there were more people around than the population of the town indicates. Either knew everyone for miles around or at least knew who they were. Went in the service in 70, got out in late 71 and came home. Walked down the street and did not know anybody, and they all looked at me like “who is the new guy in town?”……it was like an episode of the Twilight Zone! The town hadn’t grown much but the surrounding area had by leaps and bounds. Took me a couple of days to re-connect with old friends and find out where everybody was at. Now the town has expanded to about 8-9000 and only a few people that i know are left. Only go there to visit them, would never live there again, it has changed too much. At least in my mind’s eye i can still see the area as it was when i grew up there.

Comment by Ed Hackenbruch — October 31, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

• Not everyone can write a webpage, it takes determination, discipline and a little skill. But you certainly would be able to hold your own with just about all of them Ed. That was a well written comment if I ever saw one.

I think it was Thomas Wolfe (I am not sure of this) who said, “You can never go home again.”

Comment by ldsrr91 — October 31, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

• Not everyone can write a webpage, a lot of people will lead you on to believe it is certainly possible,but it takes skill, discipline and determination to see it thru. Gathering all three qualities in one place isn’t always easy to do.

I believe it was Thomas Wolfe who said in 1938 “that you can never go home again.” A lot of truth in that. I too see it when I go back to the old roots and haunts, they are not what they used to be, or as I remember them.

You wrote a well written comment there pard, thanks.

Don

Comment by ldsrr91 — October 31, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

4. Well DS, I’ve looked at the Going Home link and must say it just makes me think more along the lines that I’m sure glad that I have what I have ! There’s a very stark realization as to what other places around this planet are like in this link. The people in those photos survive with what they have, and obviously, have done so for LOTS of years !
    Then, my mind conjurs up the real estate adds that are in our daily rag on Sundays wherein the movie stars, and lots of other rich peoples are selling their 2 to 8 million dollar homes ’cause they’re tired of ‘em?

Comment by doowop4evr@att.net — October 31, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

• That is precisely why I put it in there, I cannot look at that, and not feel thankful. Really brings it home doesn’t it.

Don

Comment by ldsrr91 — November 1, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

RSS feed for comments on this post.

The Rubric Theme. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: